A friend of mine just told me a story that has left me very upset. Her daughter, a 2nd grader, is being harassed and bullied on the bus. A bus that carries only children in kindergarten through 2nd grade. That's 5 to 8 year olds. This particular bus is the same bus where a little girl in Primo's class was bitten by another 2nd grader. BITTEN! These are not children in preschool who don't know better.
My friend's daughter has been complaining about the bus for a while now, but it recently escalated to a physical incident. A 1st grade girl kicked my friend's daughter in the chest while on the bus. In addition, her daughter has been repeatedly teased and called "fat" (she's not). Not only that, other children on the bus have been encouraging this behavior. It's gotten so bad that my friend has been driving her daughter to and from school to avoid any more confrontations.
After the kicking incident, my friend called the school and reported this child to the Vice Principal. This type of bullying is not tolerated and the child will be dealt with, but I can't help wonder...what the hell is going on?
When did kindness and compassion for others fall by the wayside? And what type of environment do these bullies live in where they think it's OK to be mean and cruel to others?
I am a true believer that being mean is a learned behavior. Babies are not born mean. Young children who grow up in a loving, supportive family are not mean. Mean is something you learn, whether it be at home, on television, in video games, somewhere.
It is our job as adults, as parents, as human beings, to teach our children kindness and to respect one another. My friend's daughter asked her mother, "Why isn't anyone sticking up for me?" That is heartbreaking. And why didn't any other child stick up for her? I only hope that if my boys were on the bus, one of them would have stuck up for her. But who knows? I hope that I have taught them the importance of kindness and compassion.
One thing is for sure, when my boys get home this afternoon, we will be having another talk. I will use this story as a teachable moment in the hope that if they are ever put in a similar situation, they will have the courage to stand up for themselves or someone else. That is my hope.
Peace and Love.
This makes my stomach turn! I hate to hear of any child being picked on or bullied like this. I strongly believe in teaching my children to stick up for others around you when you see something like this happending. Always be a friend! I hope that little girls knows she is not alone and people support her and are proud of her standing up and telling her mom what's going on. I also hope your friend goes the administration and they stops this NOW... So so Sad!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Nicole! My daughter got a great response from the school today when I got home, and also a wonderful response from one parent. I was happy she was able to tell me, and also the school when they asked her today on a one on one.
ReplyDeleteShe felt proud and happy that people, meaning family and the school believed her, and that she was supported.
I am just happy my little girl feels special, loved and secure enough to tell us what is happening. She was not afraid to speak up for herself.
But the true question is, why didn't anyone stick up for her? She has witnessed bullying and experienced a lot last year through exclusion, so we have taught her different ways to help others and herself. I am glad it worked!