Tuesday, April 10, 2012

'Tis the Season

Spring has sprung in Anytown.  How do I know?  Because spring sports have officially begun.  And with spring sports comes all the parents who temporarily lose their minds over elementary school aged children playing baseball and soccer.

Now what I'm about to say may be controversial.  Some of you may be appalled.  Angry even.  So I'll whisper it in your ear.  Come closer.  Closer.  A little closer, I won't bite.

"Parents of Anytown!   None of your children will grow up to be professional athletes!!"

There, I said it.  I feel better now.

I know many of you think your child is an 8 year old soccer prodigy.  That he'll be the next David Beckham.  Or that 3rd grade Johnny will play for the Yankees or Red Sox.  But he won't!

I don't mean to sound like Debbie Downer but I think it's time we get a little more realistic and a lot less worked up over kids sports.  Believe it or not, there was a time not so long ago when sports were supposed to be...wait for it...FUN!!!  (Gasp!)

Last Saturday at Primo's baseball game I had been cheering for a little boy who had hit the ball and was running to first base.  I think I said something like, "Good job, great hustle!"  That's when I overheard this boy's mother say to someone, "Well, I didn't think that was great hustle.  I think he could have hustled a lot more."  WHAT!?!?  Seriously now people, what happened to being proud of a child's effort?

I have heard some crazy stories of parents around Anytown.  Things like hiring private soccer coaches and forming secret teams to get children ahead.  I've seen kids crying on the sidelines because they feel like they're not good enough.  They're little kids for goodness sakes, they shouldn't be this stressed out over sports!

Then of course there's this whole business of Red Shirt-ing.  Holding your child back in school so he/she will be bigger, stronger, older than his classmates to have an advantage in sports.  Believe me, if you think this only happens in Anytown, you need to open your eyes.

Now, that said, of course, as parents we all want our children to succeed in anything they do, whether it's school, music, sports.  But at what expense?  I often wonder if some of these parents are trying to live out a failed sports career through their children.  Got injured playing college baseball?  Well then I'll make sure my son plays and gosh darn it, he'll like it!!

Listen, my kids play sports too.  Do I want them to play well?  Sure, as well as they are able.  Do I think they'll be the next Derek Jeter or Roger Federer?  Probably not.

I think next Saturday when we're at the sports fields, we all need to just breathe.  Cheer for their efforts, smile through their strike outs and missed goals.  Comfort them if it's upsetting.  But most important, just let them have fun.

Peace and love.

5 comments: