Thursday, May 10, 2012

Uninspired

For the last few weeks I've been completely uninspired by everything.  Cooking, friends, workouts, the works.  I think part of it is the weather.  I am not a gray, rainy weathered type of girl.  I'd shrivel up and die in Seattle. I love the sun, it makes me happy, puts me in a good mood and makes me want to go out and get things done.  But for some reason, for the last two weeks, Anytown has been under a big, gray rain cloud.  Blah.

I've been getting by on my usual boring meals, veggie burgers, hummus, salads, boring.  So today I pulled out a recipe that I love and haven't made in a while.  It's a bright sunny dish filled with lots of colorful veggies and is quite delicious to boot.  So I thought I'd share because I haven't posted a recipe in a while and this one will brighten up your plate.  For you meat lovers, you could add chicken or chorizo, but it is really great just the way it is.  Enjoy!

Vegetarian Paella

Ingredients
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup uncooked jasmine or basmati rice
1/4 tsp. saffron strands
1 (140z) can of diced tomatoes, drained
2 small peppers, any color you like
1 cup lima beans (I use edamame instead)
2 cups veggie broth
1 cup frozen peas
Lemon wedges for garnish

Method
Heat olive oil in a large skillet.  Add onions and garlic and cook for three minutes.  Add rice and saffron and continue to cook, stirring constantly for one minute.  Add tomatoes and stir.  Add peppers and edamame and cook for a minute.  Add broth and bring to a boil.  Boil for 2 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer.  Cover and cook for 10 minutes.  Check and see if you need more liquid, if so, add some more broth.  Then cover and cook another 5 minutes.

Stir in peas and cook until just tender and liquid is absorbed.  Don't overcook the rice.  Serve with a lemon wedge for garnish.

YUMMY!!

Peace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment