As I sit here and write this, I'm in the process of ordering all the necessary things that Primo needs for sleep away camp this summer. In between the sleeping bags, water bottles, head lamps and backpacks, I just can't help thinking...where did the time go? How is it that my first born is old enough to go to sleep away camp? And why is it me that's going to be so sad to wave him goodbye when he will go running off and not even look back.
We've all heard the saying, the days go slow but the years fly by, when we think about our children. It seems like yesterday that Primo came into this world weighing a whopping 9lbs./1oz. And now he's off to camp! When did this happen?
Primo is the type of kid that is fiercely independent. He's not afraid of walking into a classroom where he knows no one. He's able to figure it out. He may be a little quiet at first until he feels comfortable but once he does, he shines. He's very smart (aren't they all??) and is wise beyond his years. He thinks he's already in high school (he's in 2nd). He knows how to use the computer and every Apple device better than me. I go to him when something isn't working on my iPhone! He's very current with music and pop culture. Though admittedly, his taste could be better. He would prefer to watch Access Hollywood than Power Rangers. He is truly a unique child. And he is the love of my life.
Don't get me wrong, Segundo is pretty awesome too, but Segundo is your average 6 year old. He has the attention span of a gnat, would wear his pajamas to school if I didn't remind him (a thousand times!) and would prefer to sit on my lap and snuggle than do anything else. (Which is a mother's dream really.) Segundo is kind, sweet, thoughtful and silly. He's a six year old. But I'll be lucky if I can ever get him out of the house! He doesn't like team sports, he's too shy. If I sign him up for a class, the first thing he says is "will I know anybody there?" And when I told him that Primo would be away for 3 1/2 weeks this summer, he said, "then I get you all to myself"! He really is a love.
I know there will come a time in the not too distant future when they'll stop giving me so many hugs and think I'm totally embarrassing. There's a time when they'll want me to drop them a block away and walk to where they're going so they don't have to be seen with me. But I hope that time doesn't come too soon.
These boys are growing up so fast. I wish I could slow down the clock just a little. Keep them 8 and 6 for a few more years. They are amazing. They are wonderful. And they are mine.
Happy Mother's Day everyone.
Peace and love.
No comments:
Post a Comment