Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Smells Like Teen Spirit

The week before the Great October Snowapulooza, I did something that I hadn't done since 1984.  I screamed like the fourteen year old I was back then and danced my ass of at a Duran Duran concert!  You heard me right.  Simon Le Bon, John Taylor and the rest of the group were rocking out Madison Square Garden and I was there.  Don't be too jealous.

For those of you that enjoyed the 80s British Invasion as much as I did will appreciate my excitement and enthusiasm that lead up to this night.  To be honest, I didn't even know they were touring until two weeks before the show, when my one and only British friend told me that she and her husband were going.  I said to Mr. X, "Doesn't that sound like fun?" To which he replied, "Well if you're into that kind of thing I guess."  Hmmm.  Must find another former Duranie to take to the concert.  Fortunately, it didn't take long (see there's a 14 year old girl still hidden inside all of us) before my friend, Legs stepped forward with an equal amount of enthusiasm.  

Let's review for a second, shall we...   This is what Duran Duran looked like circa 1984:


I was a John Taylor fanatic.  (He's the one on the far right.)  Back then you were either a Simon fan (center) or a John fan.  Then of course there was always one of your friends who claimed they liked Nick Rhodes the best (second from left).  But they were just saying that, no one really liked Nick the best.  Then there is Roger (far left) and Andy (second from right).  OK, now that we've got a better understanding of who's who we can proceed.

Legs and I took the train into the City.  When we got to Grand Central we couldn't get a cab so instead opted for a more touristy and far more dangerous way of getting to MSG.  We took a pedicab!  As we weaved in and out of traffic, our "driver" Rene assured us he would get us there in one piece.  He drove in the bus lane.  He swerved around pedestrians.  We screamed.  We closed our eyes.  And I've done something I haven't done in a while.  I laughed so hard I thought I would pee my pants.  Legs is yelling at him, "Hey, if you start getting tired, I can take over, I teach Spin!" She does, in fact, hence her name.

We had great seats for the concert, right on the floor, slightly to the right and not too far back.  As the lights went down, the excitement and feeling like a teenager again was awesome.  They blasted onto the stage with such energy and the crowd were nuts!  Their mixture of new and old songs kept the audience completely engaged, happy and dancing.  They sang old classics like Hungry Like the Wolf, The Reflex and of course, Rio.  We stood, screamed and danced through 20 songs and it never got boring.  Simon Le Bon rocked those tight, sparkly pants just like he did some 20+ years ago.  His voice sounded amazing and the rest of band did not disappoint.

So you're probably wondering what they look like now.  Well here they are:


They have all aged well.  They are less a member now, Andy Taylor, who no one really liked anyway.

We both fell asleep on the train on the way home.  Because really we are too old now to be acting like teenagers.  But for one night, it was great!

Peace and love.

2 comments:

  1. Love it, mama! And yes, no one ever really liked Andy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excuse me John is, was and will always be MINE.....lol... I guess I could share, but only with you!

    ReplyDelete