Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Growing Pains...

Tonight my boys were in the bathtub, when I heard Primo say to Segundo, "Look, Segundo, I'm becoming a man."  I froze in my tracks.  I took a deep breath and pondered whether I should go in to find out what he was talking about.  Instead, I took the chicken way out.  I did nothing.  I just stood in the hallway and did nothing.  Sometimes, it's just better not knowing.  Right???

This came just a few hours after we were all playing with Play Dough.  I was happily working on a blue octopus.  Segundo was making Spongebob.  And Primo, well, he was making a giant penis and testicles with his Play Dough!  He was laughing and giggling and thought it was the funniest thing ever.  (It was funny, but I held fast to my "that's not an appropriate thing to make with Play Dough" face.)

So now I'm kind of thinking we (Mr. X is not getting out of this one) need to sit down with Primo and have a 2nd grade version of "The Talk".  This conversation is a bit stressful, I admit.  But obviously his body is changing and he needs to know that the things that are happening and feeling are completely normal.

He knows bits and pieces.  For instance, he found out recently, from a girl on the bus (thanks, J.), that not all babies come out of the mommy with an operation.  She very cleverly told him that they can actually come out through...well you know, I don't have to explain it to you!  To which he was visibly horrified.  Understandably so.  He also knows that babies are made when a mommy and a daddy give each other a "special hug".  Of course now every time Mr. X gives me a hug, Primo asks if it's a "special hug" and if I'm going to have another baby.  Oy!!

This parenting thing is hard work.  I just want to make sure that what I'm telling him is age appropriate.  I'd rather he hear it from me, than little Suzie on the bus.

What I need is a book.  An age appropriate book, for 8 year olds.  If anyone reading this knows of one, please let me know.

In the meantime, I suppose I'll just wing it and pray for the best.  Wish me luck.

Peace and love.



1 comment:

  1. you aren't alone on this venture... :) meg

    ReplyDelete