It's been a cold, wet, last few days here on the East Coast. The kids went back to school on Tuesday and I now find myself with lots of time on my hands. After my daily trek to the gym, then home for a shower, I find that I am now looking for things to do. So why not cook? Trust me when I say, I am no Julia Childs. In fact I have never really enjoyed cooking until I became vegan. To me, making a meal that is animal and dairy-free, is a challenge, and I like nothing more than a challenge.
So on Tuesday, I was looking for some comfort food. And to me, there is no better comfort food than chili! So I pulled out the old crock pot and just started throwing lots of yummy beans and veggies inside. The end result was so fabulous and delicious that I had to share it with you. I wasn't really measuring anything, but here goes:
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 cup matchstick carrots
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 can black beans
1 can red beans
2 Tbs. chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup vegetable broth
1 Tbs. soy sauce
1 1/2 cups TVP (textured vegetable protein) - do not be scared of this, it's what gives this dish it "meaty" texture
1. Heat broth and soy sauce in microwave until hot, but not boiling. Add TVP and let it soak up the broth (about 3 - 4 minutes), you want it to be partially hydrated, but not fully.
2. Chop everything else up and throw it in the crock pot on high or in a heavy pot on your stove. If you are doing it on the stove, I would add a little olive oil and cook the onion and garlic until soft before adding the other ingredients.
I cooked mine in the crock pot for 5 1/2 hours on high for the first 3 hours, then down to low. On the stovetop, you could probably do it in about an hour.
Serve over rice, noodles, nachos, salad, whatever, the options are endless! Makes about 6 servings.
A note about TVP: Textured Vegetable Protein is an amazing soy product. It is a complete protein and contains no fat, so it is an excellent alternative to meat. It is also a good source of fiber, iron, magnesium and phosphorus. It takes on the flavor of whatever it is cooked with.
When Mr. X got home from work he lifted the lid and said, "Is there meat in this??", so even your meat-eating family will enjoy it too! Segundo thought it was great. Primo snubbed me yet again. Ah well, I'll keep trying.
Peace and love.
Sounds delish!!
ReplyDelete