My wonderfully British friend, E., had me over for lunch last week. She had made a delicious vegetarian meal for her parents while she was on holiday (had to sneak in my best British colloquialism) over Christmas. Our lunch was so amazing that I had to get the recipe from her and I will now share it with you! Fortunately, she translated everything out of grams and mls. so us American folk could understand.
Aubergine & Chickpea Tagine
1 small aubergine, cubed (eggplant)
2 courgettes, sliced (zucchini)
4 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 cups mushrooms, halved
1 tbsp ground coriander
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground turmeric
8oz new potatoes, quartered
1 pint passata (diced tomatoes, I used canned)
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp chili sauce
1/3 cup sliced, dried apricots
3 cups canned chickpeas, drained
salt & pepper
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) for garnish
Roast eggplant and zucchini with 2tbsp of olive oil, 20 mins until tender and golden, turning regularly. Heat remaining oil in saucepan, cook onion and garlic for 5 mins until soft, turning occasionally. Add mushrooms and saute for 3 mins until tender. Add spices and cook for 1 more minute, stirring to mingle flavours. Add potatoes and cook for 3 mins, stirring. Pour in passata and tomato puree and 2/3 cup of water. Cover and cook for 10 mins, until sauce begins to thicken. Add eggplant, zucchini, chili sauce, apricots and chickpeas. Cook, partially covered for 10-15 mins until potatoes are tender. Add a little extra water or vegetable broth if tagine becomes too dry. Garnish with chopped, fresh coriander and serve with cous-cous and crusty bread.
This dish is so aromatic and fantastic! Really, truly delicious! It is cooking away on my stove top as I type this. I can't wait for dinner tonight and leftovers tomorrow.
Thanks again, E. for this great recipe! I will always think of you when I make it!
Peace and love.
No comments:
Post a Comment