Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Mmmmm tofu!

I've heard from some of you recently asking when I'm going to post some new recipes.  To be honest, I've been in a bit of a food rut lately.  I think with all the craziness of the holidays I just haven't felt much like cooking.

I did get a new cookbook for Christmas from Mr. X so I have promised myself that I will try out some new and tasty meals.  The cookbook is called Clean Start by Terry Walters.  What I like about it is that she divides the chapters up by seasons.  So each recipe contains ingredients that will be fresh and plentiful for that time of year.

My menu for this evening was pan-seared tofu with a ginger lime glaze, sauteed swiss chard with ginger and tamari and brown basmati rice.  See tofu recipe below:

Pan Seared Tofu with Ginger Lime Glaze

1lb. fresh firm tofu, drained
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
2 Tbsp. tamari
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp. maple syrup (I used agave nectar because I prefer the taste)

A note about tofu:  I like to drain and then press the tofu for an hour or two before I marinate it. Take a clean dish towel or several paper towels, place the block of tofu on it , cover with more towels and put something heavy on top to press out the excess water.  I use a heavy pot usually.  I find that pressed tofu has a nicer consistency than when it's not pressed, but that's just me.

Once the tofu has been pressed, make the marinade, pour over the tofu in an air-tight container and let it chill out in the fridge for at least an hour.  The longer you marinate it, the better it will taste.

Heat a saute pan over medium heat.  Pour a little of the marinade from the container in the pan and let it heat up.  Slice the tofu into fillets or cubes.  Place in pan and saute evenly both sides until the glaze starts to make the tofu a little crispy.  Keep adding marinade so it doesn't burn or stick.  I used all the marinade little by little.  Remove from heat and serve.

SOOOO good!  And easy.

While I was cooking the tofu, I threw a little ginger and olive oil in another pan and cooked up the swiss chard.  I added a little tamari for taste.  You could also add a little ume plum vinegar or whatever you have handy.  Again, yum!

I'm actually looking forward to leftovers tomorrow, the tofu will be great stuffed in a pita with some field greens and some Japanese ginger dressing.  Mmmmm.

Happy eating!

Peace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment