Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Wait, what?!?!

My mom called me this morning to wish me a happy 42nd birthday.  Wait.  What?  How old am I? 42?  I asked her if she was sure she got that right.  She told me she's pretty sure.  The thing is, I just don't see how that's possible.  The last time I checked I was 24, not 42!  42 sounds so...OLD!!

Now, I realize that age is just a number and it's more about how you feel, blah, blah, blah.  And I feel great (I don't look so bad either if I do say so myself)!  But I think I am officially in my mid-forties.  Which is not possible.

I was in my car today and coincidentally the song, "Happy Birthday" by Altered Images came on.  I distinctly remember loving that song when it was featured in the movie Sixteen Candles.  In 1984!! So now I'm starting to do the math and I realize that if I was actually 24, I would not have been BORN yet when Sixteen Candles came out.  That made me feel old.  Remember this scene from the movie??


I remember being 14 years old in 1984 and thinking how dreamy Jake Ryan was.  Come on, all you ladies remember that, don't pretend you don't.

I wonder what Jake Ryan looks like now?  He's probably balding with a bit of a paunch belly and lives in the suburbs of Chicago with his three children.  Hmmm.  I think I'll just freeze his memory in 1984.

So since I won't be sitting on my dining room table tonight, gazing longingly over a lit birthday cake at my honey (he's working late), I might as well go over to a friends' house for a glass of wine.

That was something I couldn't do in 1984...

Here's to another year!  Cheers.

Peace and love.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I don't remember that balding and having a little paunch was so bad either.

    : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love balding with a little paunch

      Delete