Tonight my boys took baths with their underwear and socks on. Why? Because they asked. Were they surprised that I said yes? Well...yes. Were they really excited that I did? Ummm...yeah. Primo said to me, "Mom, did you take a yoga class today?" He knows me so well.
I have no idea why they wanted to do this, but it made them happier than expected. They didn't fight, all they did was laugh and play. Together. Did I mention there was no fighting?? All because I let them wear their socks and underwear in the tub. Was I happy that there was no fighting? You bet.
I think I'm just sick of saying "no" all the time. Now, understand, that I say no all the time because they ask to do the most ridiculous, inappropriate things. "Mom, can we watch Poltergeist?" No. "Can we listen to Snoop Dogg?" Um, no. "Can I fart on my brothers head?" "Can we eat ice cream for dinner?" No. And no.
So tonight I just thought, well, I guess if they really want to wear socks and underwear in the tub, why the heck not??
Generally I think of myself as an upbeat, positive person. But lately I feel like I've been saying "no" a lot. And I'd like to start saying "yes" more.
So tomorrow if they want to wear all their clothes in the bathtub, I think I'll let them.
But I still won't let them watch Poltergeist!
Peace and love.
Hey don't beat yourself up too much, after all you did say YES to the mohawk right? signed beverly cause I still haven't figured out how to post any other way than anonymous....
ReplyDeleteGOod one here. BT
ReplyDelete